Saturday, December 18, 2010

Squash + Fennel = Delicious Choice

I have mentioned my addiction to farmer's markets and fresh produce before, but it's a very creative addiction too. I was trying to find a use for acorn squash and some fennel bulbs that were going bad and I came across this wonderful recipe. It combines both ingredients plus a few other fun things and next thing you know, you have a delicious side dish coming out of the oven.

Spiced Squash with Fennel
(courtesy of Epicurious, slight changes by me)

1.5 pounds squash (I used acorn, but the original called for butternut)
2 fennel bulbs
1 large onion
3 tbls olive oil
2 tsps cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp tummeric

  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Trim and cut squash, fennel, and onion into wedges of about equal size. Make sure to peel and seed the squash first.
  3. Combine squash, fennel, and onion on a sheet pan and toss with oil and spices and salt and pepper as needed.
  4. Roast until veggies are tender and lightly browned tossing once. Should take around 45 minutes.

On another note a few coworkers have been handing out baked goods for the holidays. The treats are mediocre at best, but I know they mean well. Most of my coworkers know that I'm a foodie and am planning on a career in the culinary world. Of course they all want me to try grandmas famous cookie recipe or the best muffins ever and I can only say that I will try them later so many times. I'm not a good liar, so I have to practice saying how delicious it was to everyone (I imagine a really good roast chicken or pasta recipe to get the right face).

But here's my question, I was planning on bringing some goodies, but now I'm not sure. I don't want to one-up them or anything, but I want to share some delicious treats of my own. Either way, based on what I'm receiving, I don't think my lemon anise biscotti or nutmeg sugar cookies will be a big hit. But it's the thought that counts, right? So do I bring the baked goods and hope that nobody thinks I'm trying to show off my skills? Or do I just keep them at home and just give a card with something like a piece of Godiva chocolate tapped to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...