Tuesday, December 28, 2010

When All Else Fails, Stir-Fry!

I really don't feel like going to the store, so I'm trying to make do with what I have. One of the best uses for random ingredients is stir-frying! I started this off my raiding my freezer where I found some chicken pineapple meatballs and we took it from there. I served this with some whole grain noodles. I also made some cumin-lime sweet potatoes and a small spinach salad with strawberry vinaigrette. I know those don't really all go together, but the common theme is cleaning out the fridge and making delicious food!

I do have to say that I'm a big fan of winter and have learned to work around the lack of super fresh foods.

Pineapple Stir Fry
1 package chicken meatballs (or any leftover meat you may want to use)
1 medium onion cut into wedges (I used purple for color!)
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup pineapple chunks
Chicken broth or stock
2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with water sufficient to make a thick paste
1/8 tsp. sesame oil (optional)
1 tsp. brandy
1 tsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. oil
salt

  1. Heat oil in pan and stir fry pepper and pineapple until pepper is crisp-tender. 
  2. Add enough chicken broth to cover, and a dash of salt, cook for 1 minute. 
  3. Add meatballs (or meat), and cornstarch and water mixture, sesame oil, brandy, and soy sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Serve hot over noodles or rice. 

What are some of your favourite stir-fry recipes? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...