Monday, January 17, 2011

If I were Oprah, everyone would get CHICKEN MEATBALLS

You read that right! I thing the world would be a better place if we all embraced chicken meatballs. Not literally embrace, that would be messy. I have my family and friends hooked on these nuggets of love. I can change up the recipe every time and they still turn out delicious. Why? Because they are chicken... and meatballs... duh.

So this is my latest version using whatever was in the pantry. I tend to over-shop some weeks and then just flat out refuse to shop other weeks. Some recipes are totally planned in advance with all the right ingredients and in the perfect amount. And, well, other recipes are me just throwing stuff in a bowl/pan and keeping my fingers crossed that they turn out amazingly. I took come notes for this one, because I could feel it in my bones that it would turn out great. I also encouraged some roommate help with the chopping and making of the balls, which always ensures a great recipe.

I served this over some whole wheat and flax linguine with some tomato sauce. I make huge batches of tomato sauce and stick it in the freezer. I also give it to friends and tell them to eat more. I may just be the Italian mother you always needed. It's tough, considering I'm not Italian.

Chicken Meatballs

1.5 lbs ground chicken (get the mixed, not just breast or white)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 lemon zested
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatos, chopped (Try to find the ones NOT packed in oil. If you can't find those, rinse and dry the oily ones well.)
3 tbs dried Italian herb blend
salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil as needed 

  1. Preheat oven to 400*. Line a pan with parchment paper.
  2. Mix all the ingredients, except oil, together in a bowl.
  3. Drizzle in some oil, at least 2 tbs, more if needed to moisten the meat more.
  4. Shape mixture into balls, approx 1.5 inches in diameter and place on pan.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden and firm.
  6. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...