Monday, January 24, 2011

Lazy Days are Meant for Brownies

After the horrible Bears game yesterday, I decided to spend the day doing nothing. But I'm not good at doing nothing. I ran this morning with the G-Doggie. We had the path to ourselves, since most people are still afraid of the ice. (PS - how is it that I slip and fall on water droplets when walking, but can run on pure ice with no problems at all?) I have been doing some major laundry and catching up on tv online and now I've moved onto Jonah, a VeggieTales movie (I do LOVE the VeggieTales, almost to an obsessive level). But the best part of this day... I made BROWNIES!

I have this amazing brownie recipe that I have been making for years for every occasion possible, but a few years ago, I made it better. Starbucks introduced their VIA instant coffee stuff not too long ago. I bought some of the Italian Roast, since it's my fav coffee from there, to try and found out it tastes like CRAP, pure unadulterated crap. But I had all these leftover packets with no use for them. I talked to one of my favourite baking experts, my mom, and she suggested using it like instant espresso in any recipe. I struggled at first, but figured, my amazing brownies are so amazing already, why not make them better? I tinkered with the amounts, but seriously, love it. I bring to work all the time and they were dubbed Crack Brownies, since they are as addictive as crack. Bake at your own risk, because I will not be held responsible if you eat the entire tray.


Mocha Brownies with Peanut Butter Coffee Frosting
Aka Crack Brownies

¾ cup butter melted
4 packets Via Italian Roast
3 eggs
2 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 ¼ cup flour
½ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt


·         Preheat oven to 350, grease bottom and sides of 13x9 pan
·         Stir together butter and Via until well dissolved
·         Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla with butter mixture until smooth
·         Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt
·         Slowly add dry ingredients to wet until well combined and smooth
·         Bake for about 25 minutes, let cool before frosting

Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 packet Via Italian Roast

  • Mix butter and peanut butter until smooth
  • Add in Via, beat until well dissolved 
  • Slowly add powdered sugar until well combined and fluffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...