Friday, October 29, 2010

Chicky Shnoodle Shoup... yesh

(if you didn't get the title, it's from the comic strip "Mutts" and ever since I read the strip this came from, it has been the only way I discuss what most people call chicken noodle soup.)

I'm still feeling under the weather and haven't gotten in a run for almost a week now, so it's time for some food medicine. I have always relied on the healing power of chicky shnoodle shoup. There are actual studies about it. Broth, protein, carbs, garlic, veggies, all good. Since I'm sick and have no energy I did take some short cuts. And since I haven't burned the calories, I determined to make my recipe even healthier... and I did!


Healing Chicky Shnoodle Shoup

1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 stalks of celery, with leaves, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 boxes of chicken broth
1 rotisserie chicken
1 package whole wheat, no yolk, egg noodles
s&p to taste

1) Saute onion and shallot in olive oil until translucent. About 5 minutes. Add in carrots and celery and saute for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until everything is softened and garlic is no longer raw, about 2 minutes.
2) Stir in broth and about two cups of water, more if you like a brothier soup.
3) Dice up the rotisserie chicken, with skin removed and mostly white meat. (I saved the rest for my dog, because I make her food and she has no weight problems.)
4) Add the chicken pieces and egg noodles to soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a rolling boil, cover, and reduce heat. The soup is ready when the noodles are done.

One of the biggest time savers was to call someone to drop off a rotisserie chicken on their way home from work (Moms are good for that, tell them you're sick and just want to make soup, a chicken will appear on your doorstep.) . Some really good rosemary bread was delivered with the chicken, yum. I saved calories by removing the skin and only using the white meat. I usually start the recipe by boiling chicken parts, both dark and light, with veggies to make a broth and then chopping up all the meat to add to the soup. Also, I found some really great egg noodles at the store a few months ago and picked up a few bags. Whole wheat, yolk free, great tasting noodles. I love the texture of egg noodles in my soup.



On a side note, this was the first time in awhile I didn't get my meat straight from the farm. It's a strange feeling, but luckily Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have decent alternatives. But, aside from emergencies like this, I'm sticking to the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...